This tutorial should work on any Arduino Leonardo compatible board like the Sparkfun Pro Micro and the most popular Arduino Pro Micro compatible board. They’re all the same.
Let’s Get Started (Microsoft Windows):
- First, download and install the latest Arduino IDE at https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software.
- Run the software, create a new file, copy and paste the code from https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/arduino-usb-gamepad/.
- Now let’s install the Arduino Joystick Library. Download the library. On Arduino IDE, click on Sketch > Include Library > Add .ZIP Library…, browse to the zip file you downloaded and click Open. A message should appear at the bottom telling you that “Library added to your libraries. Check “Include library” menu“.
- Plugin in the Pro Micro with a micro usb data cable and let Windows install the device. Take note of the COM port number used by the device (COM9 in this example).
- Now on Arduino IDE, click on Tools > Board > Arduino Leonardo.
- Click on Tools again, choose Port and the port used by your Pro Micro.
- Finally, click the Upload button or press CTR + U to flash/program the Pro Micro. You should see “Done uploading.” at the bottom if it’s successful.
Comment below if this tutorial works for you or not.